Citizen News, a social diversity advocate news outlet based in Hong Kong, published an open letter signed by leading Chinese intellectuals with five demands:
DOWNLOAD THE WAR ROOM PODCAST FREE
- The Designation of February 6 as National Freedom of Speech Day (Dr. Li Wenliang Day).
- Starting now, fully implement the Chinese people’s right to freedom of speech granted by Article 35 of the Constitution.
- Starting now, no political forces or state machine should infringe on the Chinese people when they form associations or communicate among each other. The state organs must immediately stop censoring or blocking the content of social media.
- Grant equal rights to citizens in Wuhan city and Hubei province, the epicenter of the coronavirus. All coronavirus patients should be able to receive timely, proper, and effective treatment.
- Call for the National People’s Congress to convene an emergency assembly to discuss how to protect citizens’ freedom of speech and do not allow any police force to stop the planned meeting (China holds the National People’s Congress in early March every year).
READ MORE AT CHINA SCOPE